Foods To Ease Arthritis Pain
Arthritis, where “Arthr” means joints and “itis” means inflammation. So any kind of persistent joint inflammation qualifies as arthritis. If you feel pain & stiffness around your joints or have trouble moving around you might have Arthritis. There are different types of arthritis like rheumatoid Arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, and so on depending on the cause.
If you suffer from Arthritis, there are certain nutritionally powerful foods that can ease your joint pain and slow down the progression of the Arthritis. Here is list of some food item commonly used in our kitchen which eases arthritis pain and inflammation.
1. Fruits: All the fruits have health benefits however some have components that help lower inflammation associated with arthritis. All kinds of berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries are loaded with antioxidants & ascorbic acid which provide arthritis – fighting power by reducing the risk of inflammation.
Pomegranates are rich in tannins and can fight the inflammation of arthritis. Watermelon reduces the risk of low levels of inflammatory marker CRP (C reactive Protein) and can reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis. Avocados & tart cherries also have good anti-inflammatory effect and decrease the risk of joint pain in osteoarthritis. Include these fruits in the diet for good joint cushioning & ease in pain.
2. Vegetables: Consumption of anti – inflammatory vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage can help the patients to manage Arthritis. These veggies are part of the cruciferous family, and they are full of a compound called sulforaphane, which helps slow cartilage damage in joints. Beans like red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans can help lower your levels of C-reactive protein (CRP — a sign of inflammation).
3. Whole grains: Incorporating variety of whole grains such as sorghum, rice preferably brown rice, whole wheat flour, millets, barley, quinoa into your diet can add extra nutrient and may help lower CRP levels.
4. Oils: Extra virgin olive oil contains oleocanthal which has anti – inflammatory properties. Canola oil, Walnut oil & fish oil are all rich sources of omega 3 & 6. As many researches showed that Intake of omega 3 slow down the production of chemicals that raise inflammation and it block the enzymes which trigger it.
5. Spices: Turmeric contains curcumin and ginger has chemicals which help to reduce inflammation and improve RA symptoms. Both the spices are widely used in Indian & Chinese cuisine.
6. Nuts & Seeds: Walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds & sunflower seeds are excellent source of Omega 3. Researchers studying their effects have found they lower C-reactive protein (CRP), a marker of inflammation linked to increased risk of arthritis and cardiovascular disease.
7. Fish: Fatty fishes like salmon, herring, sardines, and mackerel are all rich source of omega 3 which can decrease inflammation. Fatty fish also contains Vitamin D, which help prevent swelling & soreness. Include twice a week in your diet and don’t overcooked it.
8. Garlic & Onions: This allium family contains sulfur, which help to fight joint pain & reduce inflammation. Healthy joints depend on healthy cartilage. Inflammation can cause cartilage and joint damage.
9. Green tea: Researches show that certain anti-oxidants present in green tea reduce risk of severity of arthritis. Include non – decaffeinated green tea as decaffeinated version requires processing that will wipe off certain good nutrients.
10. Probiotics: Probiotics can reduce the progression & symptoms of the disease. So incorporate curd, kefir drink & kombucha tea in your diet.